Web Development Portfolio project update

Web Development Portfolio project update

Update on Project #1

Over the past few days, I have been working on the structure of my first project for my portfolio. I am far enough within the project where I feel comfortable enough to share it with you, so you can see what I have been working on! Before we get to that I would like to go over what the process has been like for me so far.

For starters, I worked my way from the top down. Everything went rather smoothly until I got to the form field which is where I am now (as you can tell). I am not currently worried about styling it for now as much as getting it to work for validation. It led me on a path of learning about the new validation features of HTML5 that are great but aren’t as robust as what you can do with JavaScript client-side validation.

I continued to research ways to write a script to validate for emails first. Then I ran into regular expressions. I have yet to take the time to learn them in-depth so here was my opportunity. So far I had been spot reading Professional JavaScript for Web Developers for ideas on animation and that took me down a whole other rabbit hole.

I decided to take a time out and just read the book from beginning to end so I would know what context they were speaking in. I know some books build on projects that may be worked on throughout the book and things similar to that so I didn’t want to miss out on anything. I figured I would take 3-4 days to just read it cover to cover.

What I am working on right now

That is currently where I am not now. I started reading it yesterday and I am a quarter of the way through. Due to work, I haven’t been able to work on the script I am writing for the email validation but I should be able to finish it up in the next two days when work is not as busy.

On to the main event! Here is a screen shot of my site progress so far. I am pretty happy with it overall. I have a long way to go to get this project done there are a lot of features I need to incorporate. I am happy to get the static portion done so I can get to the more exciting part of adding the user interaction portion of the site. I have run into one issue that has been giving me trouble.

site mockup of Wanda's Tours

As you see at the top of the site you can scroll past the top, the same for the bottom as well. You can scroll past well beyond the frame of the site I am unsure of how to resolve that. I have found a few CSS options to try and resolve it but they have not worked, at least for my code. As of right now I will leave it and come back to it later on when I am wrapping up the site or working on more of the styling.

Let me know what you think. Feel free to leave a comment or @ me on Twitter. Until next time happy coding!



1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *